The Rye Police Department strives to protect citizens' life, liberty and property. The assistance of it's citizens to prevent, and solve crime, is invaluable.

Reporting a Crime

In an emergency, please dial 911

The Rye Police Department is dispatched 24/7 by the Rockingham County Sheriff's Department. To reach the dispatch center for a non-emergency, dial (603) 964-5522. To reach the Rye Police Department during normal business hours, dial (603) 964-7450.

seacoast crime stroppers



To anonymously report a crime, call Seacoast Crime Stoppers at 431-1199. You can also anonymously report a crime on the Crime Stoppers website.

Home Safety Tips

While it may seem obvious, the most important tip we can give is to lock your doors and windows. Many burglaries we see are a result of the homeowner leaving their house unsecured. Even at night while you are home, you should lock your doors and windows.

Set your alarm. If you have a home security system, be sure to use it at all times.

Know your neighbors. Often times, a vigilant neighbor can be the best security system.

Vacant Home Security

  • If you are away on vacation or are going to be away for the winter, make your home appear as if someone is home. Setting lights on timers, and installing perimeter lighting can be very effective.
  • Keep your alarm system armed. Even is you don't have a live monitoring company (ie. ADT), an audible alarm can alert neighbors.
  • Have a neighbor, or local contact who can check on your house, and respond in the event of an alarm or emergency.
  • Suspend mail and newspaper delivery if away for an extended period.
  • Complete the Vacant Residence Form which will give the Rye Police Department valuable information in the event of an emergency at your residence while you are away.

Vehicle Safety Tips

Once again, the most important tip we can give is to lock your vehicle. Thieves often prey on unlocked vehicles, as they are easy targets. In the summer months, we find many beach goers leave purses and wallets in their unlocked cars. Consider leaving your purse or wallet at home and take only the necessities.

Child Abuse

Child abuse consists of any act, or failure to act, that endangers a child's physical or emotional health and development . Someone is abusive if he or she fails to nurture the child, physically injures the child, or relates sexually to the child. Child abuse can take many forms, including physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, exploitation, neglect or abandonment.

The Bureau of Child Protection works to protect children from abuse and neglect while attempting to preserve the family unit. Child Protective Services help prevent further harm to children from intentional physical or mental injury, sexual abuse, exploitation or neglect by a person responsible for a child's health or welfare.

NH Statute requires any person with reason to suspect a child under age 18 has been abused or neglected must report that suspicion immediately to the Division for Children, Youth and Families (DCYF).

  • If you have reason to suspect a child has been abused or neglected, contact DCYF at 1-800-894-5533.
  • Proof of abuse and neglect is not required to make a report.
  • Reports of abuse and neglect concerns are confidential and can be anonymous . If you give your name, please know NH Statutes do not allow DCYF to release it to anyone. DCYF will not reveal your name unless you agree or a court orders DCYF to do so. If the family being investigated asks for DCYF records, staff must remove the name of the person who made the report. However, if the case ever goes to court, a judge may request identifying information.
  • Call the Rye Police Department with urgent child abuse or neglect reports during DCYF non-work hours (between 4:30 PM and 8:00 AM or on weekends and holidays).

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children

NH Registered Offenders Against Children

Elder Abuse

Elder abuse is a term referring to any knowing, intentional, or negligent act by a caregiver or any other person that causes harm or a serious risk of harm to a vulnerable adult. Abuse can take many forms, including physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, exploitation, neglect or abandonment.

The Adult Protection Law requires any person who has a reason to believe that an elderly or incapacitated adult has been subjected to abuse, neglect, exploitation or self-neglect to make a report immediately to Bureau of Elderly & Adult Services (BEAS) at 1-800-949-0470.


Stalking is when ANY person purposefully, knowingly or recklessly:

  • threatens your safety
  • follows, approaches, or confronts you
  • appears near your home, place of employment, school, or other place where you normally can be found
  • causes damage to your home or property
  • places an object on your property, either directly or through a third person,
  • causes injury to your pet, or
  • communicates with you in such a way to make you afraid.

The person has to do one or more of these acts at least twice for it to count as stalking. It must also be something that makes you afraid for your personal safety.

If someone is stalking you or a person in your immediate family, or someone you are intimate with, then you may file for a stalking protective order against that person. A court may order anything that is necessary to make the defendant stop stalking you.

To file for a stalking protective order, follow the steps listed for domestic violence protective orders on the Domestic Violence page. Be sure to tell the clerk of court that you are filing for a stalking protective order, rather than a protective order for domestic violence.


Computer Crime

Visit the computer crime page for more information.


Identity Theft

Visit the identity theft page for more information.